Monday, October 18, 2010

CNA? Probably not for me!

I am not so sure anymore what my calling is. I was in clinical today. Day 1. My oh my, what a day it was. It was the most horrifying experience I have ever gone through. NO! This has absolutely nothing to do with the residents. They were the sweetest, well when they weren't crying from loneliness or being cold or not wanting the food that was being served. The conditions are just plain poopy (absolutely no pun intended) in LTC. The CNA's were cruel, they treated the residents like babies and I have never in my life seen so many exposed body parts! We definitely did not learn exposure in school, as a matter of fact we were taught the exact opposite. Boy did that not happen. Residents were left naked while being bathed, the towel sides weren't switched (so the private areas probably now have germs all over it). YES! I did report what I have seen, will it help? Probably not! I get the feeling this is how they have been doing it for a very long time. The CNA I was assigned to had me ask a residents' wife for a brief (I unassumingly did what she asked, thinking that the resident obviously had his own supplies, since towels were being pulled out of his personal linens) well, the granddaughter of the resident(16ish years of age) reported ME! to the DON. She said that I was harrassing her grandmother for supplies! ME? Are ya serious? I was the only one that smiled and said good morning to you all, I was the only one who washed my hands around here, I was the one who went and gathered additional supplies for your grandfather! HELLLLLO THERE! Is this fair?? I cried my head off, and then the DON came and gave me a hug and told me that I need to gather up some thicker skin, but that I would make a great nurse because I have such a positive attitude. HUH? How can I keep this positive attitude when I have meanies hurting my spirit? I saw my light dimming just a little today, and guess what? I HAVE TO GO BACK TOMORROW! Oy vey...

2 comments:

  1. awwww. don't be discouraged! You are doing a great job...doing what you know is right - and not following those bad examples there.....I always loved LTC...the older generation was someone's child, someone's mother....that is so sad the way people will treat the vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work. You will, with time and experience, learn to deal with crappy CNA's with horrible attitudes and worse hygiene. Your patient's are lucky to have you; resist the Dark Side just because it's easier and that's what everyone else is doing.

    ReplyDelete

Awww, thanks so much for stopping by... NOW SAY SOMETHING NICE!!

Follow Me On Twitter

Blogaholic Designs”= Follow me on Twitter